Have You Ever Thought About The Future of Your Family?



Very important life questions stuck through my mind when I attended Philam Life’s Family Talk Forum last July 24, 2013 at Apo View Hotel. Questions such as how will I provide for my family, what will happen if I die too young or die very old, how can I achieve my dreams, or who will take care of my family if ever I pass away lingered in my mind even after the event. The speakers talked about very interesting and essential topics. I am very grateful to them for opening my mind to these important life lessons.

I am nearing a quarter of a century and I admit that I am part of the Peter Pan Generation. I am still heavily dependent on my parents but I go from one freelance project to the next to earn extra income. My whole family recently invested in the stock market, but we are still in the dark as to how to make the most out of our investments. I am also two years away from that age when my mother got married and had our eldest sister. Being single gives me the freedom to do whatever I want with my time, money and energy but sometimes it makes me long for the love and security of starting and having my own family.

So basically I am in the middle of a quarter-life crisis and fortunately Philam Life’s Family Talk Forum enlightened me on what to do at this point in my life. During the early introduction at the forum, I discovered that I am part of the 89% of Filipinos who are afraid to die too soon and not being able to provide for our families. I am also part of the 87% who are afraid to adjust our living standards when something unexpected happens.

Maribel Sison Dionisio from Love Institute

The first speaker of the forum was Maribel Sison Dionisio, MA from Love Institute. One of the most important things that I learned from her talk is ensuring a Work-Life Balance. My parents are also good examples of juggling different responsibilities while always being there for our family. It would really be a test of faith and responsibility if I follow good parenting habits by the time that I also become a parent. Mrs. Maribel Dionisio also gave us handouts on how to plan for the budget of our families at each important period of our lives and the lives of our children. I will surely make a soft-copy of this and keep it on my desktop because I want to have an overview on how I can provide for my future family’s needs, especially on the rising costs of education.

The next speaker of the forum was Zanne Magararu from Philam Life. She is a petite but vibrant speaker that opened up interesting questions to an audience composed of people from different ages. One of the things she said that really struck me was that it is not about how much money you have, but how much money you keep. I also took note of her six steps to financial security and prosperity as follows:

1.     Set your financial goals
2.     Know your net worth
3.     Stay out of debt
4.     Save before spend
5.     Make money work for you
6.     Prepare for the unexpected

Rex Mendoza, CEO of Philam Life

They didn’t talk much about Philam Life’s products because they were more focused on principles of good parenting and financial management. This is very interesting because there was no hard selling at all. It was like they provided us with really important information, which is good for us and our families. According to the closing remarks of Philam Life CEO, Rex Mendoza, they want to reach as many people as possible, starting with their Family Talk School Tour, and educate them about building healthy family relationships and securing a great financial future. When people will be looking for financial plans, Philam will always be there to provide the products according to their needs. And Philam has always been there as the Top 1 leader in the Philippine life insurance industry for 65 years.

Only 4% in the Philippines has life insurance coverage, which is a sad number because only a few have taken into consideration how they will secure their future and that of their families. I can see the hesitation of some people when they are invited to get insurance, especially on the light of recent scams. But how can we know for sure that our investments are secured? Look for those companies that have a great track record and decades long of service to the people. Philam Life checks both qualities.

Philam Life
15/F-18/F Philam Life Head Office, Net Lima Building
5th Avenue cor 26th Street, Bonifacio Global City (BGC), Taguig City 1634
Trunkline No.: (02) 521-6300
Call: (02) 528-2000


Philam Life Davao
Rizal St., Davao City
Call: (082) 227-1662







Share on Google Plus
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

1 comments:

  1. 1. Set your financial goals
    2. Know your net worth
    3. Stay out of debt
    4. Save before spend
    5. Make money work for you
    6. Prepare for the unexpected

    This is really true and has been my mantra ever since I started having a family. :)

    ReplyDelete